Independent arrangements

If you intend to apply independently, applications are available in the visa section of the website of the German Embassy in Ottawa ( Use the form “application for a residence permit”, not the “Schengen” application form! Fill out the application form and submit it, along with the required documents, to the German Embassy or Consulate nearest you (Ottawa, Toronto or Vancouver).

If your application is accepted, you will receive a YMA visa with a combined residency and work permit which will authorize you to stay and work in Germany for up to 12 months. Canadian citizens who wish to travel to Germany for up to 3 months and who do not want to work, may do so without applying for a visa. Please note that a YMA visa cannot be obtained after arriving in Germany.