Finding a job

Don’t forget: you will ALWAYS need a YMA visa – whatever kind of job you get.

BE SURE to obtain your permit from the German Embassy or consulate BEFORE YOU LEAVE CANADA!

Finding the right job is your own responsibility, even if you receive help from a service-provider or from other sources.

If you just want to do casual work to help finance your summer travel, it’s up to you to find your own job. You can also contact the appropriate service-providers for help (see list).

If you would rather find a job related to your area of study, some assistance is available through the International Placement Service (Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung ZAV) of the German Federal Employment Agency.

However, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you also look for your job yourself – after all, you know best what job would give you the best professional experience and be most useful for your studies. Your future employer can ask the ZAV directly for the necessary forms.

CHECK what your college or university can do to help, particularly if you are enrolled in a co-op program.

USE your own personal and professional contacts and networking resources!

BE SURE to explore the following websites:

The website of the Canadian Embassy in Germany also provides links to potential employers in Germany at

Good luck in your search!



I first got interested in Germany when I was 16 (through a school trip) and wanted an opportunity to come back. So, I was thrilled to find a job in Germany that would allow me to experience the country and at the same time get some valuable and interesting work experience. My work has allowed me to be in touch with a younger generation and to realize how elevating it is.
Michel from New Brunswick – working as a teaching assistant.